I’ve done a fair amount of reflection in my past few blog posts, but I suppose there’s always room for more. Over the course of this semester I’ve both achieved and not achieved my goals. I actually have a much clearer and more long-term view of the trajectory of my work, and a vision for what I want to achieve not only in this semester, but further on in college. Continue reading
I’ve finally begun the process of revising and piecing together my portfolio, and as I do this, I’ve found myself reflecting on all of the things that got me here. So, for this post, I thought I’d give you all a little bit of insight into the source of it all: the art that has shaped my art from the very beginning. Somehow, this seems an appropriate thing to do as I approach the moment in my life when it will all culminate into a portfolio which may very well determine the course of my future.
So lets go back. Continue reading
Hello all, Natalie here to talk about some plans. I feel I should begin with informing you all of one fact: I grew up on the images of Tolkien and Shel Silverstein and JK Rowling and Maurice Sendak (for those of you who perhaps don’t know stories by their authors, that’s Lord of the Rings and Where the Sidewalk Ends and Harry Potter and Where the Wild Things Are), and they have greatly influenced me both as a person, and as an artist. Continue reading
For my art independent seminar, I am going to research deeply and explain thoroughly the remarkable Korean folk art, Minwha. Minwha was created and developed around the 17th century by the common people. Historically, most painters were anonymous as they traveled around and painted by the demands of people at various festivals without leaving their name or initials. Continue reading
Now that the first (female) set of components have been milled, it’s time to move onto the male components. With that, comes the exact same prep process as last time. Makes for some riveting writing…
My final prints of the train are done! I decided to do a series of prints keeping a consistent, black main image while altering the color of the insert. I solved the registration problem by building a jig (pictured below) which has served me well. Basically, I tape a sheet of paper to the top of the jig, ink the first (colored) block, and print. Then, I lift up the paper keeping it attached to the jig, pull out the first block, substitute it with the second block (black), and print again. Both blocks are positively aligned against the L shape, ensuring that their placement is consistent and therefore the image is printed correctly.
Today I established a connection with the creator of it all: Theo Jansen.
This week has ended in little progress, but some important decisions were made. There’s a pivotal time to follow, as my own future and that of the Grazer will soon be decided.
Last week, I finished carving my linoleum block, and worked feverishly toward my goal of having proof prints ready for assessment on Friday. I didn’t quite make this goal, having just printed them tonight, but they are finally done! Continue reading
This week I tested out what I made, as I’ve started to accept that what seems like it should work in the computer doesn’t always work out in real life. However, the results I got back confirmed what the computer said should happen, so that was a pleasant surprise.