We received cells the 4th a carried out the initial culturing protocol established. We incubated the medium in the 37 degrees 5% CO2 incubator for about 20 minutes in order to let it reach the necessary temperature. We thawed the vile of cells and carried out the remained of the steps in a sterile hood.
The next day I analyzed the cells under and inverted microscope to discover that they were contaminated. T. Mariska assisted me in what procedures I should carry out (since I had never dealt with something like this before). The contaminant was dark and rod-shaped and moved extremely quickly. We took the medium we used and placed it in the incubator – 4 days have passed since we placed the medium in the incubator and there are no signs of the contaminant. This most likely means that the cells we received may have initially been contaminated.
In my initial conversation on Friday with a representative from technical support at ATCC they said that they check all of their products for contamination and do not refund people for their products for contamination issues. I have contacted ATCC and filled out the form in order to hopefully get this issue resolved.
This process has been very frustrating and disheartening for me because I have not been even able to begin the actual research that I initially planned on conducting due to varying issues with initial and subculturing of my cell line. I am not sure how much time I will have to conduct research and what the possibilities for my research will be from this point now due to the continual issues with the culturing of my cells.