When getting onto a highway, you are told to accelerate to the speed of traffic. If you don’t, you’re going to be hit. I am currently in the process of re-entering the highway and returning to my routine which is full of adrenaline and always followed by late nights.
So I’m going back to my lists and going back to my goals: I’m switching from collecting my content to creating a product, and I am left asking myself three essential questions: What do I have? What is my plan for the rest of this semester? What do I need to change?
What do I have?
- I have a fair amount of completed interviews (10), these interviewees have not signed and returned their release statements yet
- I have 2 more interviews locked in and schedule for this next week
- I am in the process of scheduling 10 interviews and that number grows every day
- My logo is in the final stages
- I have obtained an Innovation Grant from Westtown School
- I have a graphic designer, a web designer, and a photographer
- I have a rough idea about the format for my website
I have had to move up my timeline and accelerate the process of my project due to my rapid increase of interviewees. My previous list is what I hoped to have by the end of the semester, but I have far surpassed that. Now comes the harder part…
What is my plan?
- Convert the stories that I have into full articles within the next two weeks using the software system Transcribe
- Have a clear format for my website to give to my web designer so she can set up the website
- Find more team members and continue to build my board of directors
- Speak to a lawyer to discuss donations, release statements, and the like
- Publish the website on April 30th
In preparing for this to-do list…I have to put my game face on. I need to remember that this is a marathon and not a sprint.
What am I going to change?
- I cannot do this all on my own, that has been clear to me now, but gaining more team members is something I need to do
- I need to listen a little less. Every person I consult with has an opinion on my project, but I also need to remember that I have the final say in my organization.
- Somewhat contrasting to the previous point….I need to be less defensive of my project and remember that this will only be as great as it can be with the help of a team
So….I have completed what I wanted to do in a semester in a few weeks and my organization is taking shape…and I am accelerating to the speed of traffic.
Inspired by Acceptance,
Founder and CEO of The Girl Narrative
“Pan-American Highway.” Wikipedia, 2017, en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Highway.