Hello! My name is Tray, and this semester, I am pursuing an independent study in acting with the goal of attaining knowledge intrinsic to any actor so as to create a base upon which I can build my strengths in other fields. Secondly, I would like to create a portfolio that I can present to the school in some fashion at the end of the semester. With these two main goals in mind, my mentor, T. William Addis, created a syllabus for me:
- For one of your texts, you will teach a 15 minute lesson in class. The Acting Workshop students will also be reading a book and teaching a lesson.
- Acting wise, you will have three units:
- Unit One: monologues. We will work together to select two contrasting monologues (dramatic/comedic). You will present both in class three times for critique and coaching. This unit will take place while the Acting Workshop students work on contentless scenes and American contemporary scenes. This will finish around October 13th.
- Unit Two: Classic Comedy. For this unit you will work with the rest of the class on classic comedic text.
- Unit Three: Chekhov. For this unit you will work with the rest of the class on a scene from Chekhov.
- For the first half of class, you will have significant release time to work on your own on the various projects but I will need to know where you are and what you are working on. Once you begin working on group scenes, you will need to attend the class.
This will give you a very thorough exposure to acting styles and help you develop your understanding and your skill level.”