Second Prep – Grazer


Land of the Sleeping Things by Dan McPharlin

Now that the first (female) set of components have been milled, it’s time to move onto the male components. With that, comes the exact same prep process as last time. Makes for some riveting writing…

To spice things up, I will first begin with an artist that I found earlier this week. His name is Bruce Pennington, and his work is completely different from anything related to Grazer, except for its depictions of strange alien life forms. Pennington’s work is unmistakably biblical, similar to Theo Jansen’s self proclaimed god/creator image that he has surrounded himself with. I guess it’s the inner dork in me that gets excited about science fiction themes, especially when portrayed in huge magnificent backdrops. Yes, it’s extremely tacky in some ways, but the work also has this incredible retro, dusty feeling that looks so right. Aside from the obvious Dali influences, this work reminds me of another artist, Dan McPharlin, that I have mentioned here a long time ago. His work has a similar retro/spacey feel, but it is more graphically inclined. McPharlin did the album art for one of my favorite electronic musician, Pretty Lights. You can see his art here.

I wish had the talent to draw stuff like this. I just hope that I can continue to be creative in other ways while immersed in this exceedingly technical world I have created for myself. Regardless of what direction I take my creativity, I think I will always include an other-worldly aesthetic to my work.

And now, onto the boring part. Before I started with the second portion of this process, I started by leveling the vice. This will hopefully eliminate some of the issues I was having with milling flat earlier in the the project. To do this, I unscrewed the jaws of the vice, cleaned all the pieces off and remounted them. Since the spacing in the mounting holes have a bunch of slack, it’s easy to adjust the top of the vice so it’s flat. To do this, I used a dial micrometer (not sure if that’s actually what it’s called), to measure the height differences, and adjusted accordingly till the tops are level.



It’s easy to see here how uneven the vice was!

Once all ten stock pieces were cut on the chop saw, I began surfacing each piece with the newly leveled vice. Although it’s hard to tell the difference in how much more level each piece will be by the naked eye, the vice definitely needed leveling, and this should account for some of the issues I experienced earlier.

Next came drilling holes for the parts be contained by spring pins in the the two fixtures, pretty routine machine work.

In the near future I hope to finish prep, and start milling the second set.



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.