This week was even slower than the last, and I have started to realize that maybe pursuing mass production was really not the best way to make good progress.
What I really needed to schedule for myself was some sort of cutoff date. A time when I abandoned the development, and went back to making pieces one by one. It’s a hard thing to do, especially when the entire project so far has been working towards an unfinished goal. In addition, I feel like I was once again fooled by the impression that CNC machining works without mistakes or hangups. I think it’s now safe to assume, that from my experience, CNC projects (or any project), will have unforeseen complications.
Alas, It seems that at this point, I’ve gotten in too deep to back out now. If it works, the payoff will still be huge.
This week I continued with the prep of the fixture, starting with leveling the two halves of the clamping fixtures.
Next, came drilling holes in the now “perfect” pieces for the ten actual stock pieces to be through-bolted before milling. This will eliminate the possibility for things to move around and shake during milling.
Next came cutting the individual stock pieces to milled “perfection,” and sanding them down.
Next week will be more prep, and hopefully the first milling procedures!
Tomorrow, I’m missing school for the Lehigh Mid-Atlantic District Championships… go Team 1391!
You can watch it live here.